Tuesday, March 4, 2014

40 Days of Growth

 
 
The phrase "in like a lion, out like a lamb" is a definite possibility this year here in Ohio! Saturday, March 1, was rather pleasant, with a little sunshine and relatively mild temperatures. Sunday, March 2, was another story entirely, as the sleet and snow made it clear that Mother Nature wasn't quite ready to give up on winter just yet! Now, two days later, the skies are clear and blue, but the temperatures are still frigid and ice still blankets the north side of our driveway where it remains shaded all day long.
 
There are a few signs of coming spring weather around my yard and garden...little, brave sprouts of hopefulness that March will, indeed, go out like a lamb.
 
 
So while I wait for growth in the garden, I will turn my hope in another direction. Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, the time that Christians set aside each year to stretch our spiritual muscles and prepare for the joyous celebration of Easter. Everyone I know has a different way of honoring this season, which has traditionally been associated with penance and atonement, but which is for many others a time of reading, reflection, and a search for life's meaning in the context of the Gospel message.
 
I know several people who are choosing to give up something, such as social media, that they feel is taking up too much of their precious time that could be better spent. Others are taking time for daily readings, reflection, and prayer. Until this evening, I wasn't sure what I was going to do this year. And then I saw a post on Facebook about a 40 day challenge with an interesting title: 40 Bags in 40 Days. I checked it out and saw so much possibility for personal and spiritual growth, as well as a much cleaner house!
 
So I am going to focus my Lent journey on 40 Bags in 40 Days. Yes, I'm sure that I will be de-cluttering the rooms and closets in my house, but even more importantly, I hope to be de-cluttering my mind and spirit...getting rid of personal baggage along with the household clutter. So, I've printed out my Daily Progress sheet, found some unused Kroger bags, and put out my journal and book of meditations for the more traditional early morning quiet time. I don't know where this year's journey will take me, but I am ready to find out...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment